February 21, 2024


The Tiger baseball team went head to head with Trine University. In the first game, the Tigers fell 2-8, but came out on top at the end of the second 20-19.

In the bottom of the second inning, the Tigers scored for the first time. Jack Hollinshead, ’21, went up to bat and hit a double to centerfield. Patrick Kenny, ’20, followed him up and grounded out to short, advancing Hollinshead to third. Jack Siefert, ’21, got in the box and ripped a ball up to second where he grounded out, but managed to knock Hollinshead home, putting the Tigers on the board.

It was the fifth inning that did the Tigers in, after Trine got up to bat and made three scoring plays that put them ahead 8-2. After the run-rule the Tigers were determined to come out on top of the second game.

Trine came out in the top of the first inning of the second game and scored only one run. When the Tigers were up, Matt Baker, ’19, doubled to right field sending Hayden Knox, ’21, to the batter’s box. Knox sent one sailing to right field, which knocked Baker and himself past home. Brock Tatum, ’22, followed that up with a homerun to right-center that knocked in Kenny and Hollinshead, putting the Tigers ahead of Trine, 5-1.

As the game progressed, Trine began walking the Tigers down the line. But, it was the bottom of the fourth that set the Red and White up for success. There were five runs scored, that put Witt ahead with 17-6. However, in the top of the six Trine scored eight runs off of five hits. In the following three innings, the Tigers scored three more times and Trine only scored five. This put Witt over the top and allowed them to capture their victory.

In the coming weeks, the Tigers are heading to Capital University and Bluffton University before returning home to take on the Wilmington College Quakers.

Women’s Lacrosse

The women’s lacrosse team took on Oberlin College for their Lace Up With LAX game, where they took a loss 15-10. Lace Up With LAX is an organization that works directly with lacrosse teams to collect shoes for homeless students. On Saturday, there were two tubs placed outside the gates of Edwards-Maurer Field prior to the game starting. At the conclusion of the game, both bins were filled with children’s shoes.

 The Tigers fell early on in the first half, scoring only four points in comparison to the Yeowomen’s seven. It was Rachel Bernard, ’20, who was able to sneak the first goal for the Tigers past the Oberlin keeper. As the half continued, the Tigers were on the defense as the Yeowomen consistently made shots in between the pipes. With three minutes left in the first half, Madeline Stock, ’19, was able to put the second Tiger goal on the scoreboard.

There were two minutes left, when Oberlin drew a foul and gave Gretchen Burkey, ’19, a free position shot that followed through past the goalie. Followed up by another free position shot from Josee Clayton, ’21, that rounded out the fourth goal for the Tigers.

In the second half, the Tigers came close to surpassing the Yeowomen, but fell short. Gabby Zysik, ’20, put the first red and white goal on the board after taking a free position shot, followed by another from Bernard that put the Tigers only two goals behind Oberlin.

Zysik was able to score again but the Yeowomen snuck past three more goals. The team continued to play defense, giving Zysik two more opportunities to score for the Tigers.

The last Tiger goal was scored by Clayton with five minutes left in the game. Witt continued to fight back but were unable to bridge the gap.

Tiger goals were lead by Zysik with four. Keeper, Joanna Stecz, ’22, had a whopping 12 saves between the pipes followed by Bernard who picked up six ground balls for the Red and White.

This week the Tigers are heading to Mount St. Joseph’s before returning home to take on Wooster on Saturday, March 23 at 3:00 p.m.

Men’s Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team went head-to-head with the Cardinals of Otterbein University, where they fell 12-10.

The Tigers started off strong, with Cam Kennedy, ’21, scoring the first goal. The Cardinals attempted four different times to score before Kennedy sent his shot sailing past the goalie.

For a while, the game was back and forth. The Cardinals scored and then Michael Carluccio, ’19, with an assist from Noah Moderwell, ’20, followed them right up. Moderwell then drove ball up the field and made an unassisted goal that put the Tigers ahead, 3-2.

With a goal from Otterbein and a minute left in the quarter, the Tigers snagged a one-point lead after a goal from Cooper Harris, ’22.

As the Tigers continued to take shots left and right, Jerry Coyle, ’19, scored two more goals for the Tigers. Going into the half, the Tigers and the Cardinals were tied 6-6.

Coming out of the half, the two teams fought back and forth for the lead. With four minutes left in the fourth quarter, Lucas Klever, ’21, took a shot after a pass from Andrew Ellis, ’21, that tied the game 10-10 and was the final time the Tigers scored.

Coyle lead the game in shots with nine and goals with three. Looking forward, the Tigers are heading to Ohio Northern University to take on the Polar Bears before returning home to take on the Yeomen of Oberlin College on Saturday, March 23 at 12:00 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *