June 18, 2024

On Wednesday, March 14, the Wittenberg Women’s Lacrosse team took on the Capital University Crusaders on what was a cold and bone-chilling evening. The Tigers went into the game being 2-3 and 0-2 at home after coming home with one win from their spring break trip to Hilton Head, S.C. They came out 2-4 and 0-3 at home after the Crusaders nabbed the victory with a 20-7 win.
The night started off with Emily Wadds, ’19, drawing control, then slowly losing it with a turnover. However, the Tigers pushed and regained control, only to lose it again to the Crusaders. With that turnover, Capital took a shot that was saved by Mary Alyce Furlong, ’19, only for the Crusaders to take another shot that went wide and set them up for a free position attempt. That position attempt became a goal and put Capital ahead. The Tigers took that and pushed on, setting back up where Wadds drew control again, this time with no different result. Capital scored again and both teams continued.
After that, it was difficult for the Tigers to regain control of the ball. Capital made three more goals in a span of two minutes. The Tigers kept fighting, and 12 minutes into the game, the Tigers scored with a shot from Bre Donnelly, ’19, then again eight minutes later with Wadds getting the goal with an assist from Rachel Bernard, ’20. While Capital kept scoring, the Tigers kept fighting. This is where a goal from Gretchen Burkey, ’19, assisted by Victoria Zysik, ’18, followed by a goal from Gabby Zysik, ’20, came from.
But, with 1:33 left in the half, Capital scored again, sending the score to 14-4, meaning that there was now a running clock. With that, the Crusaders scored again, and the half was over.
Coming out of the locker room, Wadds drew control again. She eventually worked her way down the field and was able to score, unassisted. But, Capital just kept coming. The Crusaders scored back-to-back and pushed on. The Tigers continuously drew control but had a hard time keeping control of the ball.
With 9:27 left in the game, Capital scored again, putting them ahead by 13 points. The Tigers did not let that deter them, Zysik scored again in an attempt to bridge the gap. To no avail, Capital scored again two minutes later.
One last attempt at scoring for the Tigers came when Sami Skelly, ’20, caused a turnover that gave Madeline Stock, ’19, the opportunity to score. With 22 seconds left in the game, a foul was called on Faith Meads, ’20, and the Crusaders gained a free position attempt. With that attempt, they scored for the final time, making the score 20-7, then the buzzer sounded. The Tigers were solemn as they shook hands with their opponents and headed for the locker room.
Look out as the Tigers take on the Mount Union Raiders on March 20 at home, then the Oberlin College Yeowomen on March 24 at Oberlin.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *